Sunday, June 19, 2011

Yesterday I went to Rochester to visit an ISU friend. I looked up directions to get there on mapquest and also used my GPS. Their directions conflicted, so I tried to follow the mapquest directions because I didn't want to go through downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul like my GPS wanted me to. On the way down I was able to successfully navigate my way, but the drive home wasn't as smooth. The whole drive home it was misting and raining, then instead of taking the exit for 494 West I took 494 East, uffda, then I had to exit and try again. I even got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for a while. What fun. Anyway I made it home safely and had a splendid day with my friend in Rochester. We got to make lunch together, play Wii, watch a movie, and go on a walk around her neighborhood.

This morning I went to St. Phillip the Deacon Lutheran Church. It was pretty good. My plan was to go to both the 9:45 and 11 services (one is traditional and the other is contemporary) but today some of their musicians are away so all the services were the same. It was a mix of traditional and jazz. I have not seen Lutherans worship through jazz since I went to New Orleans for the National Youth Gathering in 2009. I couldn't stop smiling, it was so wonderful. The music was amazing and the choir director looks like Mark Twain. :)

Being that it is Holy Trinity Sunday the children's sermon was about God the Father, Jesus the son, and the Holy Spirit. While the woman was doing the sermon she was braiding her daughter's hair. She spoke about how even though God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit have different roles and appear in our lives differently they are woven together like a braid into the fabric of our one faith. I happened to have my hair in a braid today, so I felt like I was celebrating Holy Trinity Sunday. I would like to be in a Bible Study this summer, so I'm going to email one of the pastors and see how I can get involved there.

No comments:

Post a Comment