Saturday, June 11, 2011

Summer reading so far

1. Sweet Love by Sarah Stohmeyer -A book I picked up thinking it would be a fun story about love and food. It turned out to be kind of a sad book. There is a lot about cancer, very dysfunctional families, rape, and murder. There was a lot of good descriptions of food, so that was nice, but I didn't like it that much. * out of *****

2. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green-A fabulous young adult book. A guy, who has dated 19 Katherines, graduates from a high school in Chicago and goes on adventure with his friend. They end up in a podunk southern town and have an interesting summer. There are footnotes and math equations. It is so much better than I'm making it sound. **** out of *****

3. Looking for Alaska by John Green- A high schooler goes to boarding school in Alabama by choice. He goes on many adventures with his new friends. These kids are very philosophical. They also love to drink, smoke, and have sex....I did not like that. Call me a prude but I felt this book was normalizing inapropriate teenage behavior. Other than that it was a really good, thought provoking book .*** out of *****

Back story to why I'm reading all of John Green's books: John and his brother Hank started something called Brotherhood 2.0 in 2007. They didn't communicate via text (emails, texting, letters) for a year so they made youtube videos back and forth to each other. They are really interesting and 4 years later they have a youtube channel called "Vlogbrothers." I love their videos so I decided to read John's books. Look them up on youtube...seriously.

1 comment:

  1. Abundance of Katherines sound interesting. Good title too. I'm a sucker for a good title.

    ReplyDelete