Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tonight for supper I made pancakes: Whole wheat spiced banana blueberry pancakes. I really am not a recipe girl. I like to follow my heart (or more often my tummy) when I cook.

Don't be hatin' on my approximate measurements. Some people will tell you that baking is an exact science but in my experience there is plenty of wiggle room in any recipe.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
.5 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoons nutmeg
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
~1.5 cups h2o (I use water because I'm lactose intolerant, but milk is better) (the water measurement is the most subjective depending on how thick you like your batter-thicker, start with 1.5 cups, thinner add more water by 1/4 cup measures until you are happy with the consistency)
3 Tablespoons honey
1 egg
1/3 cup applesauce
1 banana
1 pint rinsed blueberries

In a mixing bowl combine honey, egg, applesauce, and banana. Mix until smooth add water. Put in dry ingredients, mix (if you are going with the thicker batter mix only until combined. Over mixing will result in too much gluten development making your pancakes tough. If you're going with a thinner batter there is probably enough liquid to stop the gluten development). Pour onto an electric griddle set at 350 (I love using a griddle because there lots of room so I can make more pancakes at one time, but fret not if you don't have one. A 10 or 12 inch skillet does the job just fine). Sprinkle the blueberries on top of the pancakes and flip them when little bubbles form uniformly on the surface. Once flipped let them cook one more minute. When making oodles of pancakes I like to keep them warm by stacking them on a plate in the microwave. Every time I open the microwave to add some more pancakes I put 5 seconds of cook time on the microwave so they stay piping hot.

Tonight we ate them spread with apricot preserves. That was super yummy, but the traditional maple syrup can't be beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment