Saturday, June 18, 2011

Summer reading update

4. Feasting on Asphalt, The River Run by Alton Brown(If you don't know or like Alton Brown, Food Network star, feel free to stop reading now)- It is Alton's account of his motorcycle journey from Louisiana, where the Mississippi empties into the Gulf of Mexico to Minnesota where the Mississippi starts. It is a fun book filled with many pictures and recipes. I must admit that I kinda skimmed this book, it is more of a coffee table book than a "sit down and read from cover to cover" kind of book. I watched the shows while it aired on Food Network, so I was pretty familiar with what was happening. I would rate this *** out of *****

5. Paper Towns by John Green-A group of high school seniors in Orlando seem to be having a fairly normal life, except for one, Margo. Margo pulls Q into some crazy shenanigans and then disappears. Q is in love with Margo and becomes obsessed with finding her. The beginning of this book is good. The middle is long and depressing and slow, Q can't find Margo. The end is fun, exciting, and heartbreaking as Q and his friends race across the country to find Margo. There is some pretty deep stuff in this book. I like the point that John Green makes about if you idolize a person you will ultimately be disappointed because they are just a human and can't fulfill all your dreams ( he of course states this more eloquently.) *** out of *****

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying all your book reviews. I think you would love this site: http://bookswept.blogspot.com/
    It features beautiful photos pared with quotes from books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that should have been paired. My fingers get away from my brain sometimes.

    ReplyDelete