Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Music in the air

Last Thursday my summer parents and I went to Music in the Park in Hopkins. It was about 5o degrees, so we bundled up! They were selling ice cream, but there were not many takers. The concert featured a The First Memorial John Phillips Sousa Band. It was a group of about 40 musicians playing mostly marches. The music was fun and lively and the director even more so. Between songs he would tell jokes and on a few numbers he even played the banjo.

On Saturday we went to Fourth Baptist Church for a patriotic concert. Every year they put on a Patriotic and Christmas musicale. The concert included an orchestra, percussion ensemble, a choir, handbell choir, organ, and piano. It was very cool. The percussion ensemble did a great arrangement of Stars and Stripes Forever by John Phillips Sousa and the handbell choir had a very unique way of plucking the bells for certain songs that resulted in a cool sound. They ended on A Mighty Fortress is Our God, which is awesome, except it was a weird arrangement that was super fast. I feel like the majestic hymn wasn't done justice.

I've been able to spend time with a few friends who live in the area. I went to lunch with a friend from the Riverside Lutheran Bible Camp kitchen (who now works for General Mills) in Bloomington at a restaurant called Redrossa Italian Grille. It had just opened, so there were not a lot of people there and the waiter was over enthusiastic, but the food was good and the fellowship better. It was great to catch up with my friend and hear about what she is up to at GM and how much she loves the cities. We're planning a trip to a few more good restaurants before the summer is over. I also got to hang out with a good friend from ISU. She has an internship at Cargill this summer and lives less than 5 miles away from me. We had breakfast at The Original Pancake House in Maple Grove. I got cranberry walnut pancakes with caramel syrup. Holy buckets was that good! I had one cup of coffee and it cost me $2.50!!! Oh my word, that is completely ridiculous. The coffee had no added flavors, it wasn't bigger than 10 oz., nor was it fair trade certified. It was a regular cup of coffee, nothing special other than its outrageous price. Uff da.

Book update:
7. Mud and Poetry By Tyler Blanski- This one is a reread. I bought this book about a year ago and loved it so much I bought his cd (he writes books as well as makes music) and one of his books of poetry too. I wanted to reread it this summer because Tyler lives in Minneapolis, and this is a book about himself and his experiences so he talks a lot about the city and restaurants where he loves the food (I am going to try a few of the places he's mentioned, one of them (The Weinery) was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. That is two recommendations so I have to go!) Anyway about the book: honestly it is a book about sex, but it's more than that. It is a book about Tyler's journey to figure out who God has called him to be as a child of God, a man, and someday a husband. He discusses the danger of the "Chastity Cult." The way Christians have, in a sense, demonized sex, and how many people put marriage on a pedestal. Tyler was once part of the, as he puts it, the "Chastity Cult." He speaks of how he idolized his future wife and the life they would share. He talks about how his viewpoint changed and what God is teaching him along the way. Many of his words echo the rumblings of my heart. Mud and Poetry made me laugh, it encouraged and convicted me. This book reminds me a lot of Sex God by Rob Bell and Theology of the Body by Christopher West. ****out of *****

No comments:

Post a Comment