Friday, June 17, 2011

This morning I found that there were two almost rotten bananas on the kitchen counter and immediately thought "banana bread!" I ended up making banana crumb muffins with toasted almonds, and oatmeal (you can find the recipe I based my muffins on by searching "banana crumb muffins" on allrecipes.com). Yum.

For supper I made black been burgers with onions, green peppers, tomatoes, and carrots inside them. The burgers were very pretty (as pretty as vegetables formed into a patty can be). I would equate them to the funfetti of burgers. :) We also ate some super yummy coleslaw, recipe adapted from Kraft's Food and Family magazine.

1 16 oz bag coleslaw mix
3/4 cup prepared Italian dressing
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup dry roasted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
2 large carrots peeled and shredded
1 green pepper chopped

Mix all ingredients and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Enough about food. On Tuesday my host mom took me on a tour of the quilt shops in the area. There are 4 within a 20 minute radius. I bought some fabulous fabric at each of them. One of them, Blue Bamboo, has an incredible selection of Batiks and Asian fabrics. All the fabric is fairly expensive, but it is sometimes just fun to walk around and gauk at the awesome prints and even better show quilts that decorate the walls of any good quilt shop.

We even set up an extra sewing machine and surger in the living room so I can sew and surge anytime I want! I've already made 2 pillow cases. My host parents spoil me to no end. I am so thankful for them.

My internship continues to be both a joy and a challenge. I feel more capable to do the tasks I've been assigned. No matter how much planning we do, sometimes things still come up and we have to do damage control. I'm a planner by nature, so it can be pretty stressful for me for me to have to think on my feet. I'm learning to be flexible and responsible for the choices I make. Sorry that update is so cryptic, we are pretty much sworn to secrecy. Just know that I am having tons of fun, learning lots about the food industry, and spending days on end in the most wonderful kitchens ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment