Saturday, June 11, 2011

Adventures in the Big City

My internship is going well. I am constantly busy; reading recipes, ordering ingredients, double checking my order, triple checking my order, putting away groceries, helping the testers (chopping, mixing, plating dishes), and washing dishes. I wash SO many dishes. The testers don't always have time to wash their dishes while they are moving from one recipe to the next (they have strict deadlines, it is completely understandable that the dishes stack up), so I am constantly trying to clean up after them. I get stressed out and can't think straight when there are crusty dishes sitting around.

The gals I get to work with are so much fun. We all love to cook and eat. I love it when we stand around a finished recipe and dissect it, talking about how the flavors and spices work together. The women who are in charge of the kitchens and the Pillsbury Bake-Off are wonderful. They are fountains of knowledge about all things Pillsbury. They are very understanding too when I do something wrong and reprimand me in the kindest way possible.

Yesterday my host mom and I went around Plymouth shopping. We went to a cute shop called Art 2 Heart where all their profits go to supporting local and worldwide missions and nonprofit organizations. I bought someting for John's birthday and a cool paper weight for myself that says "Be Compassionate." We also went to Cub Foods. It was nice to go to a Cub Foods because the one in Ames closed last year. I bought a beatifully fragrent cantelope and it is perfectly ripe and delicous.

Then we went to the library. OH MY WORD! This is the library of libraries. It is very eco friendly and there is moss or grass on the roof for insulation. The carpet has letters and numbers in it. There is a stain glass window that has famous quotes about books scatter through it. The rows of books are organized so well, it is very spacious. There is a designated area for kids and one for teens. I like that they have separate computer area for kids and adults. My host mom is friends with one of the librarians there so we got a tour of the room where the books are sorted by a machine that uses an array of conveyer belts and scanners. The books are scanned and they move down the belt and are sorted onto carts according to their call number. Then when a cart is full the librarians can just wheel them into the library and put them away! AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment