Friday, July 29, 2011

Oatmeal

I enjoy oatmeal but sometimes, halfway through a bowl of it I have to stop. I like the oaty flavor but the texture gets to me. I have finally figured out how to make myself the perfect bowl of oatmeal that I can fully enjoy.

3/4 cup Old Fashioned Oats (these are so much better than quick oats, they hold their shape and refuse to turn to mush)
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup apple sauce ( I have snack packs of applesauce on hand and they are the perfect amount)
2 T dried cranberries
a few drops of almond extract
a sprinkle of cinnamon

Pour the water and oats in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, let sit in the microwave for 1 more minute. Remove oatmeal from microwave (it will be gluey, don't worry) add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Enjoy.


I find that most people have very specific preferences about their oatmeal. Last semester I had two breakfast shifts at Conversations and we serve oatmeal. We use quick oats and always follow the directions on the container when we make it. There was one girl who always asked for steamed soy milk instead of water. Some people add milk to theirs after we make it for them. Most choose to add honey or brown sugar and we have lots of nuts and berries for people add if they want. Most days I thought it would be easier if we just put a scoop of oats in a bowl and sent people to the hot water spigot to make their own oatmeal. Then they wouldn't be unhappy with our way being either too soupy or too dry, in their personal opinion.

When making your own oatmeal, just do what makes you happy. This recipe is what makes me happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment