Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sew, sew, sew






I have been obsessed with making hot dog pillowcases since I went to a Navigator's women's retreat in February. A women lead a pillowcase making workshop. For a lot of the gals it was the first time they had ever sewed, so the room was filled with the sound of sewing machines buzzing really fast then stopping suddenly. It reminded me of myself when I was learning to drive: too much gas, sudden stop, too much gas sudden stop. :) It takes a while to learn how to apply even pressure to a sewing machine foot pedal. Anyway, that work shop was tons of fun, so I made pillowcases for a lot of my friends for Valentine's day. These pillowcases are super easy, it usually only takes me 20 minutes to make them. Here's the link to the pattern I loosely use:



When I shop for fabric I get 1/4 yard for the border and 3/4 yard for the body of the pillow. I don't trim the salvage, it gets cut off when I surge the edges. (My summer parents have a surger they let me use. I don't have one at home so it is such a treat to use theirs.) I use really big seam allowances, like 1.5-2 inches, otherwise the pillowcase is bigger than a standard pillowcase.

I've made about 25 pillowcases this summer so far. I got to share this method with my summer mom and my summer dad's sister when she was here to visit. They both enjoyed making these pillowcases and have shared the pattern with others. I love this sewing project and it is so cool to see others enjoy it as well.


My newest sewing adventure has been making headbands:




I pretty much follow this pattern but I make the elastic cover piece 1.5 inches wide, instead of 2 inches. Otherwise I find it difficult to fit the ends of the elastic cover piece evenly inside the ends of the headband piece. I make the widest part of the headband piece 2.5 inches instead of 3 inches. Otherwise I find that the headband piece is too wide and it won't sit flat on my head.


This project is so easy. I can make 2 headbands with 1 fat quarter. Last weekend when I was visiting extended family in Elk River I stopped a quilt shop there and bought 18 fat quaters, so I am stocked up! It only takes about 10 minutes to make a headband.

No comments:

Post a Comment