Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Potato Salad and Book Update 9

A few weekends ago I visited my second cousins (once removed) in Elk River. It was great to see them and catch up on their kids, grand kids, and adorable great grand kids. For lunch Roxy made Brisket, salad with bacon grease dressing (!!!!!), and potato salad. The brisket and green salad were great, but I was apprehensive about the potato salad. I generally don't like potato salad because I don't like mayonnaise and mustard. I politely put a little on my plate when the bowl was passed and tentatively took a bite. To my great surprise it was incredibly delicious. There is not any mustard, but there is mayo, somehow it doesn't bother me. Here's the recipe:

4 hard cooked eggs (Place raw eggs in a saucepan and fill with water until the eggs are covered. Put the lid on and bring to a rolling boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat, keeping the lid on, for 15 minutes. Drain eggs and place in a bowl with ice water for 15 minutes, then peel the shell off)
4 medium russet potatoes, diced and boiled until crisp tender (I like to peel 3 of them and leave the skin on one for some texture, boiling usually takes 7-10 minutes, drain and spread on a sheet pan and refrigerate for 10 minutes until cooled.)
1/4 cup diced chives
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Put the eggs in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork (don't freak out, I know this is weird, trust me) add salt, pepper and mayo, mix well. Gently stir in chives and potatoes. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and enjoy.

Book #9

The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose: This book is the true story of Kevin's semester at Liberty University, a conservative Christian college in Virginia headed by Jerry Falwell. Kevin, a relatively nonreligious guy going to school at Brown University decided it would be interesting to see what Liberty was like so he transferred there for a semester, pretending to be a traditional Liberty student, but write this book undercover. This book recalls the experiences he had and the people he met. I found it really neat to read about Kevin doing new things like attend a Bible Study, prayer group, church service, etc. Many of those things I do on a regular basis, so they are part of the fabric of my life, they seem natural, but to Kevin they are not. Take prayer for example. Kevin ponders what the point of prayer is, if it is a valid practice, if God really takes into consideration our requests, etc. This helped me to look more closely at my beliefs and what has shaped them. Of course Liberty is filled with homophobia, liberal bashing, and young earth creationism, but Kevin finds that things there are a lot more interesting than he expected. An awesome, awesome book. ****out of *****

No comments:

Post a Comment