Monday, July 16, 2012

Tangy Apple Coleslaw

Coleslaw is one of my favorite side dishes.  I love the crunch of the cabbage and veggies and the tang from the vinegar.  The best coleslaw, in my opinion, is served at St. Petri's Turkey Supper every fall.  The sauce for this coleslaw is made by boiling vinegar and dissolving jello in it. Yes, jello!  It gives the dish a bright sweetness that helps cut the richness of the turkey and other traditional thanksgiving foods at the Turkey Supper.

I took inspiration from the Turkey Supper coleslaw by using the jello in the sauce.  I wanted it to be creamy, but mayo grosses me out, so I used plain yogurt.  Then for a change of pace I added apples which bring a similar crunch to cabbage, but with an additional sweetness.

This weekend my good friend Melissa (http://www.triedinblue.blogspot.com - check her blog out!) came down to visit.  It was so good to see her and get to catch up.  We cooked up a storm: pea burgers with apple chutney ( http://www.vegalicious.org/2012/07/09/pea-burgers-with-apple-chutney/) which were fabulous, the flavor of the peas shine through and the apple chutney is a perfect compliment.  Raspberry Frozen Yogurt:  ( http://espressoandcream.com/2012/07/healthy-raspberry-frozen-yogurt.html )  a positively wonderful recipe and a quick, easy and satisfying treat.  We also made this coleslaw and a key lime pie I'll post about tomorrow.


I am not a good photographer, my apologies.

Tangy Apple Coleslaw

1 (3 oz.) pkg lemon jello
1/3 cup vinegar
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 (16 oz.) bag coleslaw
1 large green pepper, thinly sliced (about 1 1/4 cups)
1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 1/4 cups)
2 apples: peeled, cored and julienned (about 2 cups)

In a small saucepan bring vinegar to a boil.  Turn off heat and whisk in jello until dissolved, let cool to room temperature.  Whisk in yogurt, paprika, pepper, salt, and onion powder.  Stir sauce into coleslaw, green pepper, onion, and apple. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment