Friday, July 6, 2012

Chocolate Coffee Toffee Cookies

My hometown recently got a coffee shop.  It is small and located inside an repurposed drive through bank location near the interstate.  I had a superb latte there a few days ago. While there they had samples of coffeebark: toffee dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with coffee beans.  It was fabulous. I've been thinking about it ever since, so I stopped in today and picked up my own bag.

The second line reads: a stimulating union of coffee, toffee, and chocolate.
This coffee bark is really fabulous.  The buttery toffee crunch, melty smooth chocolate and the bitter and rich smell and taste of coffee combine perfectly into this tiny treat.

It kinda looks like potting soil was sprinkled on top.  Let me assure you it is coffee grounds
Each layer works together perfectly.

Instead of inhaling these goodies in one sitting I decided to make cookies with them.




Chocolate Coffee Toffee Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup wheat bran
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped coffeebark

Pre heat oven to 350F. Mix butter and sugars on high until fluffy, reduce speed to medium and add eggs and vanilla: mix until fluffy again (at least 1 minute). Stir in remaining ingredients.  Scoop by tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.  Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to cooling rack.

Yield: 5 dozen cookies

Note:  If you're not interested in using whole wheat flour and wheat bran just use IN TOTAL 2.5 cups flour.

Note 2:  If coffeebark is not available in your area use 1 cup milk chocolate covered toffee bits + 1 tablespoon finely ground coffee beans.

2 comments:

  1. These look so good! I like your use of wheat bran, I will have to try that. I'm curious about the texture and flavor :) Did you toast it first? Toasting might make it too nutty for this application.
    I toasted rolled oats for a cookie once. The toasting brought out a nice flavor, especially if you just use the oats for oatmeal or overnight oats. It wasn't really worth the extra step for the cookies though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toasting oats for overnight oatmeal is a superb idea. I will definitely try that next time, thanks for the tip!

      Delete