Monday, July 9, 2012

Crayon on Canvas

This week Hobby lobby had 2 16x20" canvases on sale for $7.99.  Wahoo!  So I stocked up.  I have a lot of crafts pinned on pinterest that I've been meaning to try for sometime.  One of them is crayon art.  I don't like the look of the crayons glued to the canvas, but I found this other method that looked neat: http://jennaleighbrown.blogspot.com/2011/09/diy-wall-art-melted-crayons-on-canvas.html

It was super simple:

1. unwrap crayons, set canvas on newspaper, get a fork, and a hair dryer or heat gun

2. Use the fork to hold the crayon (or chunk of a crayon, depending on how much color you want) on the canvas where you want the color to be. Turn the hair dryer on high and aim at the crayon.

3. Let it melt for in place for 15 seconds or so to get a good puddle of melted crayon, move crayon around to get desired shape.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you have all the color you want.

I tried to leave some areas very thick with wax and others thin to see the white through it.  The hot air from the hair dryer created some pretty cool waves of color and does an awesome job of mixing colors.


This was a super fun and simple project.  I did it in two 20 minute sittings so as to not over heat the hair dryer.  There were no brushes to clean up afterward:  I just threw away the newspaper, put away the hairdryer and scrubbed the fork clean. 


In this photo you can see the texture a little more clearly.



No comments:

Post a Comment