Friday, May 14, 2010

the adventure's just begun


I have one year of college under my belt. I managed to pass all my classes, make lots of friends, have tons of fun, and even bake pie for the people in my dorm once a week. I'm really glad I chose ISU. The campus is beautiful and I've been blessed with lots of opportunities to do awesome things.

Going to college was quite the transition for me. It was initially difficult to go from my parent's quiet and relatively spacious home in Story City to a tiny dorm room shared with a girl I didn't really know. After the first few weeks I adjusted. My roommate and all the other people on my floor were awesome, and with a couple personal touches my room didn't seem quite so small. Eventually figured out how to navigate campus without a map and could almost always catch the right Cyride bus.

It turns out that college classes are not quite the same as high school ones. I had quite the shock when I realized that I was not going to get an A on every test. College is difficult. My biology final from last semester was over 37 chapters from the textbook. In Chem 177 my professor went over everything I learned in 1 year of high school chemistry in 4 lectures. My GPA is nowhere near as pretty as it was in high school but I've learned a incredible amount.

Now that summer is here I'm working at Riverside again. This will be my 5th year in the kitchen. I love it SO much. I'll be working the supper shift. I would rather work in the mornings and have my afternoons and evenings free, but this way I get to sleep in. I'll also be filling in at the pharmacy whenever they need an extra pair of hands.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad your first year was so great. And a GPA isn't everything. Besides, you have at least three more years. It could get easier for you, especially once you get more involved in your major classes. But I'm glad you've been trying to experience the whole "college thing" to the fullest. It's a great time in life.

    ReplyDelete