Friday, June 8, 2012

Summer Reading 2012


The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins:  Wow, this series was intense.  I really couldn’t believe how much evil there was them, and how much the evil won.  This series is full of death for death’s sake and it made me really sad.  I really think that anyone 13 and under should be reading this and discussing it with their parents.  There is so much trauma, pain, suffering, huge moral dilemmas, and sacrifice that is way more than a young adult can handle alone.  This book is really quite scary, not just warfare-scary, but there-is-no-one-whom-I-can-trust-scary.  While I think this series is quite adult in theme, I am still glad I read it.  It really made me think about how the government works and what loyalty and family really mean.

Peter Pan by JM Barrie:  I thought this was going to be very similar to the Disney movie or even like the movie Hook, but man was it not.  Well I guess the story was mostly the same, but it was written  in England at the turn of the 20th century so the language was confusing as well as some cultural aspects which I didn't understand.  It is a short read, but I think I’d rather watch the movies than reread it.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathon Safran Foer:  More like Extremely Heart-Breaking and Incredibly Poignant.  I really liked this book.  It tells the story of a peculiar 12 year old boy who lost his dad in 9/11 and how he goes on an epic adventure to try and reconnect with his dad.  Letters throughout the book tell the story of his paternal grandparents and how his father came to be.  There is an amazing amount of truth in this book, every character, especially the boy, has a whole lot of wisdom to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment