Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Smore's Bars

I love smore's.  There is something about the crunch of the graham cracker, meltiness and richness of the chocolate and the pure sugar sweetness of a golden brown marshmallow that just says summer.

But I have 2 issues with smore's:

1. I do not have enough patience to hold a marshmallow over the embers of a campfire and slowly roast a marshmallow to perfection.  I burn it every time.

2. My hands are always sticky after eating a smore, there is no way to avoid it, then I'm sitting around the campfire for another few hours with sticky hands.  Gross.

So I decided to make smore's bars in the oven.  No mess, no fuss.  My pinterest feed has been blowing up with smore's bars for the last few weeks, so I could hardly resist making my own version of smore's baked in an oven and served on a plate with a fork.

My version has dry roasted peanuts layered inside the bars, because this recipe needs something to cut the sweetness of the chocolate and marshmallow, they also add a great crunch. 


Smore's Bars

9 whole graham crackers (1 bag of the 3 bags that come in a box)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 (7 oz.) tub marshmallow cream
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup dry roasted peanuts

Preheat oven to 350F and spray an 8x8" pan with cooking spray.  To a food processor add the graham crackers and pulse until you get fine crumbs.  Add butter, applesauce and vanilla, pulse until combined.  Press 2/3 of the crumb mixture in the bottom of the pan. 

Uncover tub of marshmallow cream and microwave for 20 seconds or until spreadable: cover crust with marshmallow cream.  Sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips and peanuts.  Sprinkle on remaining crumbs.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until marshmallow cream around the edges is puffed and just starting to brown.

1 comment:

  1. Emma, I love your version of this! I was just looking at a few on Pinterest but didn't want to buy Hershey bars. I love the addition of nuts too, we always put peanut butter on our smores.

    ReplyDelete