Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Asian Cabbage Salad

I've always been a coleslaw hater because of the mayo, so some how I assumed that I hated cabbage too, just by association. This summer I learned that is not the case.  At somepoint my host mom made an Asian coleslaw and I tried it to be polite.  After one bite I was hooked.  Cabbage has such crunchy texture, so it is perfect for a salad where it can sit and marinate, taking on flavors and softening slightly. 

14 oz. cabbage coleslaw mix
10 oz. shredded carrots ( I love carrots so I loaded this recipe with them, if you are not in love with carrots you might find half this amount more suitable)
1 small red pepper, diced
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white vineagar
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tsp Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder

In a large bowl combinge all ingredients.  Toss until coated. Cover and refridgerate for for at least 2 hours before serving. 

*This recipe is also delicious using broccoli slaw instead of cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment