Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Choose your adventure

My junior year of college is off to a good start. None of my classes look too horrible: Public Relations (a random journalism class I am required to take), Microbiology, World Food Issues, and Food Chemistry. My professors seem pretty cool, especially my micro lab instructor. He is always trying to make us laugh. My Public Relations professor is really interested in what we want to get out of the class so she can orient her plans to help us learn what we want to, sweet.

I am now a student supervisor at Conversations Dining. It is great to get to wear a red shirt and make an extra dollar an hour, but supervising thus far has been pretty stressful. Yesterday I supervised a breakfast shift where no one I was working with had worked a breakfast shift before. Uff da. So I was training employees on the espresso machine, how to make oatmeal, etc. while helping customers. Then on top of that most of the customers had not been to Conversations for breakfast before, so they didn't know how we do things, so I had to explain the logistics over and over. Breakfast at Conversations is more like a coffee shop than a dining center. Customers can use their meal plan or they can just buy a bagel and a coffee with their CyCash or Dining Dollars. Anyway it was not an easy shift. It will get better as the semester goes on, the employees and customers will understand how we do things more and more every day. Even though it is sometimes challenging I really do enjoy working there. We have an awesome community of employees.

This semester I started working for the FSHN department helping organize groceries for the classes that are in the food labs in MacKay. I'm only working 4.5 hours a week there but I'm enjoying it. My job there is similar to what I did this summer at General Mills. I get to put groceries away and organize them for each of the classes. I also get to clean a lot.

At Lutheran Campus Ministry I get to be a peer minister. Woo-hoo!! I am in charge of Sunday Night Suppers every week at 5 pm before worship at 6pm. Last weekend we had peer minister training and it was amazing to be surrounded by people who are also passionate about seeing Lutheran Campus Ministry glorify God. We talked a lot about hospitality and how to be a theologian of the cross (Lutheran Handbook p.136-137)

This year I am living in Frederickson Court, a series of apartment buildings owned by ISU on the North side of campus. It is really great, I'm in a two bedroom apartment with 3 other gals. On Sunday we made a chore chart to separate out kitchen, bathroom, garbage, and floor cleaning duties. My favorite part is I don't have to have a meal plan so I get to cook my own meals in my own kitchen!!

No comments:

Post a Comment