Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Red Velvet Cupcakes

I've been eyeing this recipe for a while now: Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting, I like the use of sour cream rather than the traditional buttermilk.  My only simplification was cutting out the milk and using a whole 16 oz. tub of sour cream in the batter (minus 2 Tablespoons for the frosting).  I ended up with 24 cupcakes and one 8" cake.  The cupcakes turned out really tender with the classic tang and subtle chocolate flavor of Red Velvet cake.

The picture makes the cupcakes look brown, I assure you they are the perfect deep-red color typical of Red Velvet Cake.

2 comments:

  1. I've tried making red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting a couple of times now. But alas, every time the frosting ends up being really runny, and I end up putting them in the freezer just to solidify the frosting. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in responding. Cream cheese frosting made with only cream cheese will yield a runny frosting, because as it is whipped cream cheese's structure kinda breaks down--some butter in addition to cream cheese is necessary to maintain the texture. If that is not the problem, maybe reduce the amount of milk or additional liquid added to the frosting. Hope that helps.

      Delete